Monday, May 4, 2015

Mistakes We Never Stop Paying For

DAVIS
That's part of your problem: you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies.

-- Grand Canyon (1991; dir. Lawrence Kasdan)

***

ROY
Some mistakes I guess we never stop paying for. (beat)  I didn't even know her.

IRIS
The girl on the train?  You liked her, didn't you?

ROY
Yes.  But I didn’t see it coming.

IRIS
  How could you know she'd hurt you? How could anyone?

ROY
I didn't see it coming.

IRIS
You should've?

ROY
Yes. But I didn't. Why didn't I?

IRIS
You were so young.

ROY
Things sure turned out different.


IRIS
In what way?

ROY
Different.  For years, I've lived with the idea that I could be the best in the game.

IRIS
You're so good now!

ROY
I could've been better.  I could've broke every record in the book.

IRIS
And then?

ROY
"And then"?  When I walked down the street, people would've said:   "There goes Roy Hobbs, the best there ever was in this game."

IRIS
You know, I believe we have two lives.

ROY
How? What do you mean?

IRIS
The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.  With or without the records, they'll remember you.

-- The Natural (1984; dir. Barry Levinson)

***

And in the quick of the night
They reach for their moment
And try to make an honest stand
But they wind up wounded, not even dead
Tonight in jungle land

-- Bruce Springsteen "Jungleland"  Born to Run, 1975 (written by Robert Scottwino Weinrich)
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.